Saturday, October 17, 2009

THE ZOMBIES: THE SINGLES COLLECTION: As & Bs (1964-1969, Big Beat)



The Zombies are one of those bands whose songs have made their way into the collective consciousness. Oldies radio, TV commercials, spoofs, etc... We've heard them whether or not we know it.
I first listened to Odessey and Oracle a little over two years ago. I know, I was a little behind on that one. I was astonished at how much Of Montreal shamelessly borrows (or steals) from their vocal arrangements among other elements.
Being their only proper studio album, I wondered where I could find all of their other songs, which I assumed were only released as singles. Naturally, I forgot about this and never bothered to look.
Two weeks ago I was in the library. I literally stumbled upon this cd and figured; why not? It's free after all. The act of "purchasing" a physical cd took me back quite a few years...
Not only is this compilation thorough (including both A sides and B sides of all their singles), It also includes a few bonus tracks and is presented in the originally recorded mono format. Listen to this one with your mom and dad!


...but it's too late to say you're sorry...

3 comments:

  1. nice i wanted this when you were playing it at your house the other day

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite songs by them is "Whenever You're Ready".

    You are so right about Of Montreal ripping them off, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have grown quite fond of "Whenever you're ready".

    ReplyDelete