Friday, October 30, 2009

GRAVEDIGGAZ: 6 FEET DEEP (Gee Street/Island, 1994)




First, forget what critics and fans and Wikipedia and Fangoria have to say about Gravediggaz being "...widely credited as one of the most influential and pioneering groups in the small hip-hop subgenre of horrorcore." It's just silly. This album is in a class of it's own and in no way should be compared to the likes of ICP, Twiztid, Eminem, etc. The need to classify and create new genres (and subgenres) is god damn absurd; it drives me crazy.

Not only is this some of the RZA's best work (lyrically at least), this is a brilliantly conceived masterwork of an album. At the time it was completely unlike anything that the hip hop world had seen. The horror theme that runs through the album exhibits a perfect balance of humor and legitimate scariness. Though a bit campy at times, the lyrics and themes do not lose sight of the concept; it remains remarkably consistent from one song to the next.

Every time I listen to this I feel like I'm sixteen again in the back seat of my friend's car driving through unexplored back roads, fantasizing and causing mild trouble.

Happy Halloween.

"chewed my fuckin arm off and made my escape"

1 comment:

  1. The need to ... create new genres (and subgenres) is god damn absurd: agreed.

    ReplyDelete