Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE WAKE: CRUSH THE FLOWERS [7"] (Sarah, 1989)




The Wake are a pretty well kept secret. They're a great listen; especially if you're jonesing for something similar to early New Order that isn't a copycat throwback from 2007. In the early days, they were even labelmates.

They put out a good amount of material between the early eighties and nineties. This is the first of two singles released by The Wake on the legendary Sarah Records label.

The two songs on this single are unlike anything else that they released. I don't know what was going on but everything works here better than on any of their other efforts; shame it's only two songs.

Not only are these my two favorite songs by The Wake, they're also two of my favorite songs ever (and I'm not afraid to say it). Both are in my top five Lastfm play count. They are two beautifully and brilliantly written perfect pop songs.

If anyone would like to see more music by The Wake up here, just comment and let me know.

"...but I don't know what to do, why should I listen to you?"

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad we got to listen to this in that hotel room, eating pizza and drinking beer like we were dorm roommates or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NY NY, when is our next trip? Big couch?

    ReplyDelete